Best sump pump guides 2019
Certainly, home is one of the largest and dearest investments in one’s life. It has every right to be clean, fresh, and healthy and undoubtedly best Sump Pump serves this purpose.A Pump which relieves you from unwanted water gathered around in basement especially or any part of the home is called SUMP PUMP. A common problem to the houses constructed near the rivers, or where the water table is on the higher side or a frequent problem when the snow melts which further leads to rising of the groundwater and in these situations BEST SUMP PUMP is the panacea. BEST SUMP PUMP FOR BASEMENT is the priority for keeping the basements dry because water finds its way to your basement through perimeter drains of waterproofing system, through funneling, or by rain or by groundwater rise. To prevent the basement flooding having the BEST SUMP PUMP FOR BASEMENT is necessitous. Sump pump sends the unwanted water away from the house or from any place where it is installed to the place where it is no longer a problem. This process which looks so easy and simple is a complex one and choosing the right and BEST SUMP PUMP according to ones need is a primary step followed by the installation of the pump and then the type of the pump.
SUMP PUMP COMPONENTS
The whole of the sump pump process operates on these
- CONTAINER( maybe Plastic, Metal, Concrete ) for making a Sump basin. it is usually 0.5-0.6 meter across and 0.6 – 1 meter deep and capacity of around 50 to 100 liters.
- SUMP PUMP
a) 200W or 400
b) Battery or Mains powered or Both
PERFORMANCE OF SUMP PUMP DEPENDS ON :
- CAPACITY AND POWER: Capacity of the pump is measured by calculating Gallons per hour/minute. Power is measured by its Horsepower
- COMPONENTS: Metals, Iron, Steel.
- SOURCE OF POWER: Electricity, Gasoline, Diesel, Natural gas, Compressed gas.
- HEAD: Head describes the power of the pump.
SELECTION OF SUMP PUMP DEPENDS ON :
Before selecting the Best sump pump for
AUTOMATIC & MANUAL
POWER CORD LENGTH
PHASE AND VOLTAGE
WATER LEVEL SENSING SWITCH TYPE
BACK UP SYSTEM
ALARM FOR CRITICAL APPLICATIONS
HOW TO MAINTAIN BEST SUMP PUMP :
- Maintaining the sump pump is essential every year and this examination should be more Frequent where pump runs more frequently . While examining the sump pump , dirt , debris , gravel should be removed efficiently and effectively so that the life of the sump pump should be extended because these can be detriment to pump’s efficiency to drain out the sump .
- Check Valve and Discharge Opening line: should also be examined timely to minimize the chance of any obstruction in it . Small obstructions in these may lead the SUMP PUMP to work hard which eventually would lead to pump getting overheated and further into an failure .
SWITCHES :Automatically turns the sump pump when there is risein water level . it should be clear and FLOAT GUARD must be used .These should be tested periodically to see that they move freely and to check switch contact’s opening and closely .
- If left in standing water , pumps should be run manually from time to time so that to prevent them from getting corrosion and those which are expected to remain idle for long duration should be stored out of the water.
HOW SUMP PUMP WORKS?
- Initially, a pit is dug in the lowest area in the basement which is called SUMP PIT. It is a hole which has dimensions of around 2 feet depth and 18 inches in width. The moment the sump pit is filled with water the sump pump automatically turns on. It helps in moving the water from the pit through the pipes to a place where the unwanted water is not a problem. There is a Check Valve at the pump end which helps in keeping the water from coming back in the pit. So having
SUMP PUMP CHECK VALVE is conspicuous. an BEST
- Sump pump automatically turns on through Float Activator arm which is also called Pressure Sensor . Water puts more pressure than air on the sensors , which helps in the pump getting activated . This is how Pressure Sensor works. On theater hand there is an Float activator It works just like toilet tank . There is an buoyant ball that floats on the water . Another option is buying the Manually Operated Pump which works as per need , but these are not really convenient . On the other hand in Automatic pumps have an option for the user to activate the pump incase the float arm or the sensor fails to work.
- Centrifugal Pump is used in usual sump pumps that are used in homes to move water . It causes impeller to turn , causing low pressure area in centre . Turning of the impeller pushes the water through the pipe .
- Home SUMP PUMPS are powered by electricity and they use the standard household current so the expense of having any kind of specialized wiring is saved . As the pump usually remains in the water so the best idea is to have the Ground fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) to prevent any electrical accident.
- The Sump Pump comes under two designs. Submersible Sump pump and Pedestal Sump Pump. The submersible pump remains in the water. When the pump turns on, water is sucked from the grate into the pipes and goes out of the home.
- Pedestal Sump Pump remains away from the water and does not remain in water even when the pit is fun with the water. As the motor and pump remain out of date, they are usually louder but comparatively cheaper than the S
FACTORS CONSIDERING BEFORE BUYING SUMP PUMP
- PRICE :
Price is the major factor before considering the type of the sump pump one need to buy. One must remember “ One gets what one pays for ”. This is certainly true in the case of sump pumps as well. One should keep this thing in mind that one is not buying only the sump pump but “one’s basement dryer”.
- VOLUME OF PUMPING :
GPM (Gallons Per Minute ). One should not worry about horsepower.For instance, a pump with 1/2 HP and 50 GPM is going to pump out the same quantity of water like a pump with 1/3 Hp and 50 GPM.
- Warranty should not be the main criteria for buying a product; rather it should be purchased as if it has no warranty at all based on the qualities it
FLOAT SWITCHES :
It depend on the pump one is purchasing . It is as reliable as the switch mechanism .
TYPES OF SUMP PUMP
PEDESTAL SUMP PUMP :
Remains above water and not to be submerged into the water .
Has Impeller or Internal Propeller which provides force for pumping the water.
Has Pedestal like shape .
SUBMERSIBLE SUMP PUMP :
- Remains Submerged in
- Meant to pump clean water without solids in
- Long Lasting
- Easy in Handling
- Remains inside basin
Sump pumps has an advantage of turning on and off as per ones need and this is due to presence of the FLOAT SWITCH .
TYPES OF FLOAT SWITCHES
VERTICAL FLOAT SWITCH :
a) Causes Pump cycle to be shorter and make it frequent
b) Useful in SMALL or NARROW Sump BASIN.
c) Uses more electricity
ELECTRONIC FLOAT SWITCH
a) Good for small spaces
b) Built-in water depth alarm
TETHERED FLOAT SWITCH
a) Good on Larger sump pump & Deep sump Basins.
b) Allow for Longer pumping cycle
c) Prolong Life of the motor of sump pump .
BEST SUMP PUMP WITH BATTERY BACKUP SYSTEM
BEST SUMP PUMP WITH BATTERY BACKUP SYSTEM
PREROGATIVE : Helpful during Flooding in Power outage
BEST BACKUP SUMP PUMP
Supplement the main sump pump . It protects the property incase main sump pump fails for some reason .
1.Battery Powered Backup Sump pump :
a) Uses 12 Volt marine battery .
b) Uses Separate Float Switch that can be adjusted to different height than main pump .
2.City Water Powered Sump Pump :
Uses City Water supply to power the back-up pump .
INSTALLING SUMP PUMP
1.FINDING AN LOCATION :
a) where water gets collected .
b) should be near GFCI (Ground Fault interrupter Outlet ) / SWITCH.
2.DIGGING A HOLE FOR THE SUMP:
a) Average 6 inch deep & 10 inch wide .
b) Average 3 inch Gravel in the bottom .
c) place the sump
3.ADD MORE GRAVEL :
a) Pour more Gravel around sump.
b) leave 1 or 2 inch of the sump exposed.
4.ATTACHING THE ADAPTER:
a) Male adapter should be glued to PVC discharge pipe .
b) Place into female adapter on the pump .
c) Put an hole in discharge pipe around 6 inch up the pump.
5.INSTALLING AN CHECK VALVE :
a) Pump’s electrical cord should be attached to discharge pipe .
b) Check valve to be installed on the discharge pump.
c) Put the pump into sump.
6.CHANNELING WATER AWAY :
a) Use Pressurized fitting
b) PVC should be preferred to pump water away from home .
7.PLACE PVC OUT THROUGH WALL :
a) Make hole through wall for PVC.
b) Incase of Block wall , use hammer .
c) Incase to break a brick , use rotary hammer
8.APPLY SEALANT TO HOLE :
a) Silicon Sealant to be preferred .
b) Drag the ousted water atleast 4 feet away from the wall of house.
9.COVERING THE SUMP BASIN:
a) Gravel should be put around the pipe .
b) Sump Pump should be plugged .
c) Cover the sump basin.
Most Frequent asked Questions on SUMP PUMPS are
Q1. Which to buy PEDESTAL or SUBMERSIBLE pump ?
Ans. It depends on one’s specific needs . PEDESTAL is more economical , whereas SUBMERSIBLE pump is quick and efficient but expensive as compared to pedestal.
Q2. What should be the horse power of the pump ?
Ans. Horse power determines the speed of the pump in throwing the water away from the place . If only little or small of water is to thrown away then a pump with small horse power will do the job , but for the places that are prone to the flooding emergencies then one must opt for the pumps with greater horsepower.
Q3.what should be the size of the sump basin ?
Ans. Having a bigger sump pump is definitely an advantage as in this the pump does not get on and off thus can cool down , which helps in maintaining its longevity . So opting for the bigger basin is an prerogative.
Q4. What material should be the sump pump ?
Ans. Sump pumps come under
THERMOPLASTIC sump pump are CHEAPER and RUST FREE
IRON & STEEL are STRONGER and DURABLE.
Q5. Can WATER SOFTNER be discharged by sump pump ?
Ans. NO. Water softener has SALT as an ingredient and it can easily corrode metal screws , rubber seals .
Q6. Can LAUNDRY WATER be discharged by Sump pump?
Ans. NO. As the laundry water can clog the impeller .
Q7. What to do if DISCHARGE PIPE gets block or Freezes ?
Ans. Unblock or Defreeze as soon as possible to prevent the motor to get overheat.
Q8. Checking VALVE ?
Ans. SHOULD be checked to prevent water from flowing back into pump .
Q9. Using EXTENSION CORD with sump pump ?
Ans. SHOULD NOT be used . Infact plug it into dedicated outlet on a separate circuit.
Q10. IS BACKUP Sump pump necessary ?
Ans. It depends on the place one is living. If the place is prone to flooding or the heavy rain , it is recommended to have BACK-UP as it serves two purposes. a) it can supplement the main pump at the time of heavy rain . b) Serves purpose when the electricity fails.
Q11. Sump Pumps lasting ?
Ans. That depends on the usage of the sump pump . if the pump is continuously in use it will last shorter than the pump that is not so often in use .
Q12.Generator size for running sump pump ?
Ans. By Multiplying the Ampere of the Pump into Voltage will give you the Watt Usage of the pump . According to this usage you can get to choose your generator.
SUBMERSIBLE SUMP PUMP
- Pentair Hydromatic Sump Pump 3/10 HP Cast Iron , Vertical Switch
a) Carbon- ceramic mechanical shaft seal
b) Single Row ball bearing construction
c) Oil filled motor along automatic reset thermal overload protection
d) Piggyback electrical plug for easy maintenance and replacement.
e) Needs minimum sump pit of just 12inch
- Zoeller M53 MIGHTY-MATE Submersible sump pump , 1/3
a) Stainless handle and steel guard
b) Submersible, Float operated , Long cycle system , 2- pole mechanical switch
c) Rust resistant , powder coated epoxy finish
d) No clogging to screen
e) Unit pressure tested after assembly for its durability
f) 1/3 HP motor
g) Cast iron
- LITTLE GIANT 6 SERIES Submersible Sump pump
a) Epoxy coated cast
b) 1/3 HP
c) Cast iron Construction
d) Carbon ceramic shaft seal
e) Pumps 2760 GPH max flow rate
f) 1 year warranty
g) Automatic diaphragm pressure switch
- Red lion RL-SC50T 1/2 HP with Tethered Float Switch
b)1-1/2” FNPT discharge
c) Piggyback float switch
d) PSC motor
e) Clog resistant design handle 1/2” diameter
- Liberty sump pump 257 1/3 HP Cast iron automatic submersible sump pump
a) Fast disconnect power cord
b) VMF ( vertical magnetic float)
d)One -piece cast iron body
e) 1/3 HP motor
f) 3000 GPH max flow rate
g) Cast iron construction
h) 3 year warranty
- Zoeller Flow Mate Model 98 Submersible sump pump :
a) 1/2” spherical solids
b) Pumps 72 GPM AT 5 LIFT FEET
c) Rust resistant
e) Cast iron construction
f) Float operated
g) Two pole switch
- SUPERIOR PUMP 91330
a)1/3 HP MOTOR
b) 2400 GPH @ 10 feet pipe lift
c) Thermo plastic
- WAYNE CDU980E
a) 3/4 HP motor
b) 4600 GPH max flow
c) Vertical Float switch
d) Stainless steel
e) 5 year warranty
- SIMER GEYSER II
b) 1260 GPH
c) Thermoplastic construction
e) 1 year warranty
- WAYNE VIP50
a) US made
b) 2500 GPH flow rate
c) Thermoplastic construction
- SUPERIOR SUMP PUMP 92341
a) 2760 GPH flow rate
b) Automatic float switch
c) 1/3 HP
d) Cast iron construction
e) 3 Year warranty
- ZOELLER M98
a) 4320 GPH max flow rate
b) Automatic switch
c) Cast iron construction
d) 1/2 HP motor